Saturday, January 10, 2009

If a Tree Falls in the Forest...

So, there were at least two really fun outings yesterday that I forgot to take my camera on! So, how am I supposed to blog about them without any pictures? I'm not even sure they really happened.

Well, I'll give it a shot. The first was a bike ride Matthew and I took to the duck pond. We brought our Story of the World book, some bread for the ducks and some water and snacks for ourselves. We alternated reading about English knights and Japanese samurai with playing follow the leader, climbing trees and feeding the ducks. The weather was fabulous and we had a wonderful time :-)


Earlier, when he and I were working on Life of Fred Fractions at the kitchen table, Matthew told me "I have un-motion sickness." Took me just a second to figure out that he was telling me he had been sitting too long and needed to move! So, he ran around the house a couple of times, grabbed his nerf dart gun, snuck up on me and shot me with it, then sat back down to finish the chapter. I love that he was self-aware enough to figure out exactly what he needed and I really love the way he so aptly put it into words. Okay, I guess I just think he's cute ;-)

The other fun outing yesterday was dinner and Cosmic Bowling with friends from the River City Unschoolers group that we are a part of. This is a fairly new group and has been our first opportunity to meet up with other unschoolers in real life (as opposed to in cyberspace!) The group is relatively small, but we have really been enjoying the get togethers. It is the first home school group we've been involved with that Matthew always looks forward to meeting up with regardless of the activity. Andy and Matthew hang out with them on Thursday afternoons, but there are also occational weekend outings like this one that the whole family can participate in. We just plain enjoy each others company, which is a real find! I'm very grateful to my friend Keti for establishing the group and facilitating the gatherings.

3 comments:

lisafer said...

Sounds like a great day!

How are you liking the SOTW books? We have been attempting to listen to them, but not getting too far. Andrew lacks focus a lot of the time. :) He seems to do better with reading from some other history books we have, I was thinking of switching to book form for Story, as well.

Carolyn said...

We really enjoy it. It is the only piece of formal curriculum that we have followed for multiple volumes to date! And, the only one that we faithfully cover weekly. This all because we both really enjoy it.

History was never something I enjoyed in school, and it is an area that I've spent most of my adult life feeling deficient in. Reading about history at an elementary school level works as well for me as it does for Matthew!

He has so many more things than I do to connect the things we read to, it is embarrasing! He often gives me more info or another perspective on a topic that we are covering that he's already been exposed to one way or another (through video and board games like Age of Empires and Age of Mythology and other random things we've read over the years that I completey forget, but he somehow remembers!)

Anonymous said...

these outings sound fun especially the first one! wish it was warm enough here to do that!! our temp was 13degrees this morning!!